This page is inspired by some other developer’s “my setup” pages.
So I largely do 2 types of programming, PHP and Go.
These are both made by JetBrains so they have an annual subscription associated with them, but the code completion and package imports make these things pretty awesome.
I use a pretty generic dark theme, and the FiraCode font for both of them. The only real customization I’ve done is moving the project panel to the right-hand side which I saw in Caleb Porzio’s VS Code Setup, and I think it fit’s my needs better.
I also keep a few other IDEs/editors on my system.
Sublime Text 3 - The IDE I was using before - I still find the multiple selection tools really comfortable in Sublime Text, so when I’m trying to do mass edits, to a CSV or something like that, I’ll usually pop open Sublime.
VS Code - I usually use this for my static website projects (using vue or alpine and html)
I have 2 computers that I use for my dev work.
My primary computer is a 2017 15" MacBook Pro
My secondary computer is an HP Spectre x360 ( 15.6" 4K/i7/16GB/512SSD )
The reason I need to use two separate machines is because I prefer Mac, and it works for most of my development work, but occasionally I need to build and compile for windows, so I have my HP for that.
The HP also has a great flip over touch screen with a stylus, so it works pretty great for taking notes or doing conferences.
Other useful dev apps
- Filezilla - FTP client
- TablePlus - my database client
- Numi - quick math and note taking
- Tinkerwell -a must have for Laravel Developers
- LastPass - Password management
- Brave - My primary browser
- Miro - Fantastic for Planning/Mocking up/documenting ideas
- Clubhouse - a absolutely fantastic project management tool (with a generous free tier)
- Laravel Valet - for all my laravel apps
- Lexi - JSON Browser - when I’m working with a json string this becomes super useful to explore JSON data
- Faviconer - little tool that makes .ICO files for web apps
- Monosnap - great for making screen recorded videos easily
- Mic - Audio-Technica AT2020
- Mixer/Audio Interface - Behringer 302USB
- Camera - GoPro Hero 7 Black
- Capture Card - Elgato Cam Link 4k
- Lighting - the tops are Neewer Dimmable bi-color 660 LED lights
- Lighting Base - Custom built using an old desk leg & a broom stick handle.
- Laptop Base - Custom built using scrap wood & a 5/8" dowel rod
- Monitor - LG 43" 4K LED Monitor
- Keyboard 1 - for when I want to be quiet - Logitech MX Keys
- Keyboard 2 - for when I don’t care about how clicky it is - dasKeyboard 4 Pro (Mac)
- Primary Mouse - Logitech MX Master 2S
- On the Go Mouse - Logitech MX Anywhere 2S